Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Jeremy on .NET Rocks! (for real this time)

A couple weeks ago, I had a great conversation with Carl Franklin and Richard Campbell. I'm really excited to see that it's now published as .NET Rocks! # 1187: Becoming a Social Developer with Jeremy Clark.

Back in 2010, I announced that I was on .NET Rocks! (sort of). This is when Richard read my email on the show. My email was about how an episode of the show had inspired me to speak at a developer community event for the first time. And then last year, I was on .NET Rocks! (at least for a little bit). This was for Show 1000, and I got to tell that same story in about 5 minutes.

This time, I'm on for the full show. Be sure to check it out:


Becoming a Social Developer
The topic is how to become a social developer -- someone who meets new people and talks to other folks at developers events, whether a local user group or a large conference. This is a challenge, particularly since developers are often introverts (the nature of the business attracts us). But we can get over our fear and make some great connections.

I first put down my thoughts about this last December: Becoming a Social Developer: A Guide for Introverts. Rather than repeating the same points, I'll just recommend that you read that article.

Five years in to my experiment, I made some observations at a conference that I attended recently: On Being a Social Developer: Observations from That Conference. I talk about some of these experiences on the show, but this article gives some more details (including pictures).

[Update 09/2015: Be sure to visit the official website: Becoming a Social Developer]

Thank You!
I really appreciate the chance to share this topic. It's one of those things that was hard for me to learn, but I've found it extremely valuable to my career. (This is my experience with the technical topics that I share as well.)

Based on Carl's question during the show, I decided to pitch this as a topic for Code Mash. This would be a great "day one" talk at any conference to encourage attendees to make the most of their opportunities to spend time with other developers. And I'm sure that I'll be talking about it at developer events in the future.

Some of My Friends
On the show, I mention several of my friends. I want to give a few more details about them:

Filip Ekberg (blog, twitter, Pluralsight)
I first met Filip at the Microsoft MVP summit. We were both first-time MVPs, and we spent quite a bit of the week together. He was living in Sweden at the time, and he's since moved to Australia. He was also nice enough to help me out on my Pluralsight course about localization and globalization.

John Strobel (twitter)
I met John at That Conference just a few weeks ago. We ended up talking quite a bit that week, and I'm sure that we'll have lots of great conversations in the future. Read a little more on my observations at That Conference.

Matt Johnson (blogtwitter, Pluralsight)
I met Matt at the Desert Code Camp when he was living in Phoenix, AZ. We've had some great conversations over the years. He's since moved to Washington to work for Microsoft. Matt is Mr. DateTime, and he's helped me out with some of my own code. Be sure to check out his Pluralsight course and also his talk with Scott Hanselman on Hanselminutes #485. He knows what he's talking about on the subject.

Deborah Kurata (blogtwitter, Pluralsight)
I met Deborah at the Silicon Valley Code Camp a few years back. She is an author and speaker, and she runs a user group in Berkeley, CA. We've talked quite a bit because we know each other through several channels, including the Microsoft MVP program and through Pluralsight.

Since several of us are Pluralsight authors, it's really easy to think that we met through Pluralsight. But that's not the case. Filip's first course published a couple weeks before mine. In fact, when we met at the Microsoft MVP summit, neither of us were Pluralsight authors. We talked to Dustin Davis (Pluralsight, video channel) about his experience with Pluralsight, and that encouraged us to give it a go.

I was one of the folks who encouraged Matt to go forward with his Pluralsight audition, and I was very happy to hear when his first course published. And Deborah's first course published about a month after my first one. So I knew these folks before we all became authors. (BTW, I think that means that John needs to become a Pluralsight author, too.)

Wrap Up
Enjoy the show. And I hope that it encourages you to break out of your comfort zone and talk to someone new. It's been an amazing journey for me. I've made some great friends. I've broadened my technical skill. And I've make my world a little bit bigger. You can do the same.

Happy Coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment